Recipe for svele, Norwegian puffy pancakes 🇳🇴

I love to make svele, a traditional Norwegian puffy pancake that you typically have with jam and sour cream or my favourite, brown cheese :drooling_face: It’s a major source of nostalgia on my end, since I would have it on ferry rides while visiting my mother’s home county on the west coast, where svele originates from. It’s very difficult to get hold of, even within Norway so long as you’re outside of certain parts of the west coast, so I started making them myself after relocating to Berlin.

This is the recipe I follow, the kind of secret ingredient is the hartshorn salt which leavens the batter together with the baking soda (you can do with just baking soda, if in a pinch):

• 3 eggs
  • 2 deciliters of sugar
  • 9 deciliters of sour milk/kefir/buttermilk
  • 4 tablespoons of melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon of hartshorn salt
  • 8 deciliters of wheat flour
  1. Melt the butter. Whip the eggs until fluffy with the sugar and then add the milk and melted butter.
  2. Blend flour, baking soda and hartshorn salt and sieve it into the egg mixture. Stir the batter together until it’s smooth and free of lumps.
  3. Optionally, leave the batter to rest for about 30 minutes.
  4. Fry the batter into pancakes on medium heat. You might not need much fat in the pan due to the butter already in the batter.
  5. Enjoy while warm!

I made svele again for a party at our place last night, they came out great! Served with brown cheese and butter of course :slight_smile:

Google Photos

Google Photos

The happy party-goers :smiley:

Google Photos

Has anyone tried making these? Would like to hear back if you do :slight_smile: